Monday, July 28, 2008

VMWare Fusion on Removable Device

A while back I made the switch to using a Macbook and put away my trusty linux laptop. One of the things I've had to get used to is VMWare Fusion. I ran into an interesting experience today that I thought I would share in case anyone else has this problem.

Lately I've been teaching a class on Pointsec for PC and in the class I make heavy use of virtual machines so that I can quickly roll back changes and be ready for the next class. So I started setting up my virtual machines on the Macbook. However, I don't want to use up my precious hard drive space with virtual drives, so I store them on a 1 TB external drive. Imagine my shock this morning when I went to fire up my virtual machines and found them to be gone!

I did a quick scan of Google but didn't find any answers. Then I started looking for an answer myself, and I figured out why it wasn't on Google. The reason I couldn't find anything on Google is that the answer is so dead simple that nobody (other than me) would ever blog about it. I opened up the removable drive and found the actual files with .vmware extensions. By the way, these are actually directories, but they appear as files. So I said "let's try something really easy. After all, everything else on my Mac is easy." I dragged the files over to the Virtual Machine Library window and voila! Since this did eat up some of my time, I thought I would write a post about it and hopefully if someone else has this problem they wont freak out for as long as I did before they stumble upon the obvious answer.

No comments: