Monday, March 30, 2009

Where does Ubuntu mount servers that you connect to using Gnome?

OMG, I finally figured this out, and it was totally by accident. For the longest time I haven't been able to figure out how to access a share from the command prompt if I connected to it in Gnome. On an Ubuntu system, when you click on Places -> Connect to Server and you provide all the information then you can get access to a server share. But where was it actually mounted on the filesystem? Well I just found out and it was totally by accident.

So some of you will probably think I'm a dork because it took me so long to find it, and I'm a little embarassed to be posting this. But I also have my rule that if it took me more than 15 minutes to figure something out, then I should put it on the Internet for someone else.

The reason I wasn't finding it before is because I was using the mount command to show me everything that was mounted on my machine. Then I looked for the name of the server to show up, and I didn't see it. So I assumed that it wasn't mounted or was mounted in some strange way. Today, I had to open up a web page that I keep stored on one of those shares and I glanced up at the path. There I saw that there was a hidden folder in my home directory called .gvfs. I looked at my mount output again and saw this line.
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/kevin/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=kevin)

So gnome is using Fuse to mount these file shares, and only a generic entry shows up in the mount table. I opened up a terminal and navigated to the .gvfs folder in my home directory. A quick ls showed me that there was a folder for every server that I had connected to with Gnome.

So now if you're a dork like me and you didn't know that, you can finally put this question to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx, signed - Dork2

Anonymous said...

Good info, i have been looking for this info for a while now also!