Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pointsec for PC: Enabling WIL and a strange error message

Someone brought me a computer the other day that was having a Pointsec problem. One of the features that we've enabled is to display the enable WIL (Windows Integrated Logon) switch in the PreBoot Environment. That way I don't have to train all of the help desk staff on how to go into the Management Console and set it there. Instead they log in with their credentials, and click the enable WIL switch. Computer is fixed.

But yesterday someone brought me a computer that wouldn't enable WIL even though the checkbox had been clicked and the login had been accepted. After digging around for a bit, I found out that the .NET framework had not been installed on this machine. I already knew that you couldn't open the Management Console without .NET, but I didn't know that you wouldn't be able to use the enable WIL switch in the PreBoot Environment. After installing .NET, I rebooted and used the enable WIL switch. Another reboot confirmed that Windows Integrated Logon was working properly again.

When I booted into the computer before installing .NET, I tried to open up the Management Console. That's how I figured out that .NET hadn't been installed on the machine. Normally when you try to open the Management Console on a machine that doesn't have .NET installed, you get an error message. I can't remember exactly what the error message is off the top of my head. But on this particular machine I got an error message that was different. The error read like this:
Xencode Virtual Appliance Runtime
This application has encountered an error: 0xD0000135

When I first saw this I was a little concerned because it wasn't the usual error. But I decided to check if .NET was installed anyway. Of course it wasn't, so I figured I had better install it because no matter what this error message means, I know I wont be able to open the Management Console without it. Turns out that's all I needed to do. Everything was working fine after that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did't know about .net and pointsec.
Great help!

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate that was a great help